Chinese (Simplified)EnglishFrenchGermanJapaneseKoreanRussianSpanishVietnamese

Mold After Flooding

After natural disasters like hurricanes, tornadoes and floods, excess moisture can contribute to the growth of mold in homes. Mildew and mold will develop within 24-48 hours after water exposure, so when returning to a home that has been flooded, be aware that mold may be present and may be a health risk for your family.

Exposure to mold may cause:

  • Stuffy nose
  • Eye irritation
  • Skin irritation
  • Wheezing
  • Difficulty Breathing

You are at greatest risk if:

  • You have asthma, allergies or other respiratory conditions
  • You have a weakened immune system due to illness, surgery or certain medications

Ways to prevent mold growth in homes after flooding:

  • Clean and dry the home out within 24 – 48 hours after the flooding began. Reduce moisture by opening doors and windows and using fans to dry affected areas.
  • If you have power and an electrician has determined that it is safe to turn on, use dehumidifiers, or an electric powered water transfer pump, to remove excess water. If you do not have power, you may use a generator to power these machines.
  • Remove and discard of permeable items that have been wet for more than 48 hours and cannot be thoroughly cleaned and dried.
  • Clean non- permeable items that are wet with detergent and water

 

Remember: Warmth, dampness and humidity are ideal conditions for mold growth, so drying out affected areas in your home is the best way to prevent this growth.

For more information on ways to protect your home from mold after a flood or how to clean your home if mold develops, visit: